Dear Church Family,
God’s heart is to bless His people with abundant life. This past weekend’s discussion on leveraging our money may have been the first time you ever heard about tithing - that 1/10th of our income is holy and belongs to God. Amazing blessings come our way when we obey God’s instructions regarding finances.
I’m aware that before you even made it to your car after service, you were probably bombarded with negative, doubt-producing thoughts. The Bible clearly tells us that the enemy of our souls comes immediately to steal good seed that is sown (see the story of the sower that Jesus told in Matthew 13:1-23). If the seed is stolen, it cannot take root and produce results.
I’m convinced that good seed was sown and that it fell on good ground because your heart is good. Many of you responded by writing your commitment on an envelope and putting it in the offering plate. I know the fight is on. I encourage you now to protect the seed, allow it to take root, water it by your actions, let it grow and expect a harvest.
Here are some ideas to help you:
- Make a commitment to tithe (if you haven’t already) and write it down.
- Share it with someone and make yourself accountable.
- Start budgeting or review your current budget. (Financial planning resources are available here.)
- Develop a plan to progress from where you are. If your finances are upside-down, pray about a starting point and begin giving something with the goal of ultimately tithing the full 10%.
- Cover your commitment and new plan in prayer.
- Write Malachi 3:10 on an index card and put it on your bathroom mirror. Every day, thank God for His faithfulness to fulfill His word. Begin thanking Him for honoring His promise in response to your obedience even before you see results.
Making the commitment to tithe and following through has the potential to change your life, your children, your family, our church, our city, our nation and ultimately the world. I would love to hear your tithing story. Be sure to share your stories with your friends and family, too. Your excitement will grow as you encourage others.
I’m praying for you!
Pastor Mike Lewis
“Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.” Malachi 3:10